We operate the sole landfill site for the County at Kyletalesha. The landfill site operates under Environmental Protection Agency Waste Licence since May 2000. The landfill site accepts waste at a rate of up to a maximum of 47,100 tonnes per year.
Access to Kyletalesha Landfill is by keyfob. Information on acquiring a keyfob and how it works may be obtained from here
Please note the following important information regarding waste disposal at Kyletalesha Landfill:
- Current arrangements for existing and new domestic customers remains the same i.e. access by weighbridge and keyfob.
- Commercial waste is no longer accepted at Kyletalesha Landfill.
- Monday – Friday: 8am to 3.30pm
- Saturday: 8am to 1pm
- Sundays/Bank/Public Holidays: Closed
Please Note: keyfobs must be in a credit balance of at least €15.00 to gain entry to the landfill. If a keyfob is misplaced, it will cost €20 to acquire a replacement fob.
New customers please note from the 9th of January 2017 there is a €65 charge for a new fob with a €50 balance.
Phone Number: (057) 8620653
Please note from 06 April 2015 only 3 paint tins are accepted as part of the €4 gate fee. Any additional quantity over this will be charged at €1 per tin.
AES staff will issue a receipt covering any additional costs incurred when recycling at Portlaoise Recycling Centre.
Please note important information regarding charges at Kyletalesha Landfill – Updated January 2017:
With effect from the 9th January, 2017, the following revised landfill charges, including levy and VAT, will apply at Kyletalesha Landfill Site:
- All Waste: Minimum Charge of €15 up to 40kg plus €200/tonne for every tonne over the minimum weight.
- Construction and Demolition Waste will not be accepted until further notice.
Recycling Centre entry fee of €4.00
– Gate fee domestic car €4.00
– Paint cans First 3 cans included in the gate fee of €4.00 after this a €1.00 charge on each paint can.
– Single mattresses €15.00 per mattress
– Double mattress €20.00 per mattress
– Car tyres Max of two car tyres per entry fee of €4.00
– No bulky waste in the Civic Amenity Centre
Biodegradable food and organic waste can be composted at the Recycling Centre.
Waste Disposal at Public Tipping Area
All refuse bags will have to be placed into compactors by keyfob holder (i.e bins cannot be directly tipped into the compactor). Bulky waste will be accepted at the Recycling Centre as per the charges provided above.
Health & Safety
The health and safety of our customers and staff is of paramount importance to Laois County Council. Customers are advised to pay particular attention to signage and relevant Health & Safety guidelines which are advertised on site.
Trailer covers must be used when visiting the landfill, otherwise entry will be refused. Unsecured waste may cause litter pollution.
Laois County Council Landfill Site Environmental Policy Statement: The Policy of this facility is to protect the environment and to provide information to our customers to help reduce their dependence on landfill.
However, please note that some items that you send to landfill might be suitable for reuse? If so, why not visit www.freetradeireland.ie where you can upload items for reuse free of charge! FreeTrade Ireland is a unique public service allowing you to pass on and pick-up items free of charge. Get involved today and start saving money and protecting your environment.