Grants are available for artists’ residencies in schools, to include all art forms. This scheme gives primary and post primary schools the opportunity to select and work with professional artists and explore new arts media and to include all art forms. This scheme gives primary and post primary schools the opportunity to select and work with professional artists and explore new arts media. Open to national and secondary schools throughout the county the application is made by the school in partnership with the artist and each application is adjudicated on its overall artistic benefits and ideals. Download the Artists in Schools 2018 Application form here Application form 2018
The Arts Office are delighted with the success of the Artists in Schools Scheme throughout the years and each year the standard and outcomes of the residencies gets better and better with 2017 being no exception. The scheme benefits both the artist and the students taking part – experimenting, enquiring, designing and creating, inspires confidence and imagination in all.
In 2017 nine schools have been selected by an adjudication panel to take part in a number of creative project during the year and they include:
- Clonaslee College, Clonaslee with visual artist Aisling Brennan on an art therapy project
- St. Joseph’s NS, Borris in Ossory, with artist/architect Alan Meredith on a creative art project
- Elderfield NS, Castletown with visual artist Lynn Kirkham on a creative art project
- Paddock N.S., Mountrath with visual artist Mary Slevin on a creative art project
- St Colmcille N.S., Errill with visual artist Ania Necel Kruppa on a recycle art project
- Kolbe Special School, Portlaoise with visual artist Hilary Kelly on a collage art project
- Scoil Bhride Knockmay, Portlaoise with visual artist Saidhbhin Gibson on a mural art project
- The Swan N.S., The Swan with visual artist Niall Fitzpatrick on a landscape art project
- Scoil Naisiunta Sandy Lane, Portarlington with pottery artist Finbar O’Hara on a pottery art project.
Some of the above projects have already started and all will be completed by the end of December 2017.
In 2016 nine schools were selected by adjudication panel to take part in this scheme where the artists delivers the project directly into the school. Some of the schools have already completed the residencies and a number of glowing reports have been sent in to the office from teachers and students taking part.
Participating schoolsand projects in 2016 include:
- Gaelscoil Phortlaoise – artist Pauline Hyland 1916 mural project
- Shanahoe National School – artist Janet O’Grady “Plastic Paradise” using recycled materials
- Scoil Mhuire Abbeyleix – artist Janet O’Grady Wall Mural using recycled materials
- Portlaoise Educate Together – artist Ania Necel –Kruppa outdoor sculpture project
- Abbeyleix South N.S. – artist Fin O’Hara pottery project using different processes with clay
- Abbans N.S. Maganey – artist Mary Slevin Visual arts project using fairy tales as inspiration
- The Heath N.S. – artist Aishling Hennessy mural project themed on Past to Present to Future
- Wolfhill NS – artist Janet O’Grady puppets using recycled materials
- Cosby NS Stradbally – artist Edyta Szymanska sculpture project using clay and organic materials.