Welcome To Laois County Development Board
What are County/City Development Boards?
County/City Development Boards were established in each county and city in Ireland in early 2000 as part of the reform process in the local authority sector. The CDBs are led by local government and are also representative of local development bodies together with the State agencies and social partners operating locally. For the first time, CDBs brought together the key players at local level to engage in a process of long-term planning for each county or city. County Development Boards aim to ensure the avoidance of duplication in the delivery of services at local levels, as well as filling gaps in meeting the needs of their communities.
Laois County Development Board was established in April 2000 and launched its economic, social and cultural strategy 2002—2012, entitled Realising Our Potential, in April 2002, following a process of intensive consultation with organisations and individuals from all sectors of the community. The strategy is divided into six themes and nineteen sub themes, each with its own goals, objectives and actions.
In 2009, the County Development Board published a Review of it's Strategy 2009 - 2012, highlighting three priority areas in which it wants to deliver its objectives:
Priority One: Enhancing Employment Opportunities for All
Priority Two: Promote Laois as a Child Friendly County
Priority Three: Retain and develop the viability of Laois' towns & villages
An audit of Community, Sports and Arts facilities was recently carried out in Laois. Click Audit of Facilities for details of facilities which are available to all.
- Laois Social Inclusion Measures (SIM) Working Group.
- Children & Young Persons Task Group
- Economic Development Task Group
- Towns & Villages Viability Task Group
- Development of a county wide disability group.
- Laois Third Level Education Centre.
- Corporate Plan of Laois County Council
- Laois TRIP
- Lone Parents Network Established
- Laois Supports Services for Domestic Abuse
- Eastern European Support Group
- Laois Ethnic Minority Support Group
- Laois Youth Services
- Laois County Childcare Committee
- County & Group Broadband Scheme
- Active Retirement Group
- Laois AEGIS
- Comhairle na nOg
- Paisti na nOg
- Anti Drugs Initiatives
- Young Citizen Award